With Convertr, we have the ability to integrate data directly into your Marketo database. We can add the lead into the full lead database, and we can also add them to a program or a Marketo static list.
This allows to post data quickly and securely into your client's Marketo database, complete with logging and Marketo responses, to ensure a smooth workflow and strong troubleshooting capability.
This document covers the full lead database integration, as well as adding leads to a Marketo static list. This integration also has the ability to write data to a custom activity, or custom object within Marketo.
More information from Marketo on the Marketo APIs that we use for this can be found below. For all calls, we use the REST API.
- Creating/Updating Leads in Marketo Database
- Adding a Lead to a Static List
- Creating a Custom Activity
- Creating a Custom Object
You will need access to your client's Marketo instance in order to submit data. You will need the below as standard to create a lead in Marketo:
1. The REST API fieldnames of the data you wish to send to Marketo
5. These credentials must have the correct permissions associated with them on the API. To submit lead data to Marketo, we require the Read/Write Lead Permissions.
6. For a Static List - List ID is required
More information on how to find these details can be found in our document Introduction To Marketo, Prerequisites And Where To Find The Key Integration Details.
Setup Process - Create Lead in Marketo
1. Within your campaign, go to the Processr tab, navigate to the Integration tab and click Add Job.
2. In the drop down, select Integrate with Marketo and click Save.
3. Select your credential source. You have the ability to store Marketo credentials using the Credential Manager. If you have done this, you can select Credential Manager and choose the credentials you wish to use. If not, select Manual.
If Manual is chosen, you will be asked to fill in the Client ID, Client Secret and Identity URL.
4. In the config section, there is a single parameter excludeFieldsIfEmpty. This affects how we update data that already exists in Marketo.
If set to no, then Convertr will be able to essentially erase existing data in Marketo, if the field is being sent with no data. For example if a lead exists in Marketo already with the telephone field populated, then if we resend that lead with the telephone field empty we will erase the existing telephone number in Marketo.
If set to yes, then we will not do this, and fields that are being submitted with no data will not be included in our Marketo API requests.
5. Enter the REST field names provided by the Client and map to the Convertr field names from your lead data, then hit Save when you are happy.
Please note: The clients field names should be entered on the left and the matching Convertr field names are entered on the right.
With this, we will be able to submit lead data to the Marketo database. Please be sure to test this and ensure your data goes through!
If you wish to add your leads to a static list after integration, you'll need to populate the sendToList section:
- leadListId: your list ID should be populated here. For example, if your list ID for this integration is 1234, you should insert that number in the empty field. Doing this will mean every lead that runs through the integration will be sent to this list.
- The ListId may automatically populate based on the API details entered, please note however that only the first 30 lists show up in the dropdown.
- leadListParamName: this should only be populated if you are collecting the List ID within your lead data. This will allow you to map the Convertr field you are collecting a list ID on to the integration, meaning that you can submit to multiple lists based on the value collected on your lead.