Tracking links are used to improve analytics on awareness and conversions from outgoing links. This is particularly useful when providing links to outside vendors, as you can provide a master URL and update the destination without providing the vendor a new link.
To access this feature, selected the Tracking tab on your campaign and select Links.
Adding Tracking Links
Click the Add Link button to open the link setup.
Each link has to go through this setup process and a number of fields have to be completed. If you have multiple links in your email and you would like to track each link separately, then a different link has to be added and the same fields must be completed:
This is a friendly name you can give this link to better organise it.
The placeholder field is optional and helps streamline link distribution and tracking through multiple publishers. The most common use case is dynamically updating URLs in email creative.
Example Use Case:
Email creative is finalised and needs to be distributed to 12 publishers. The placeholder code allows you to dynamically update the CTA button URL in each publisher’s media kit through the Convertr interface, rather than having to manually edit the contents on 12 email files.
Step 1: The email button CTA should be coded with the placeholder code of ##link1## in your email HTML and then uploaded into Convertr.
<a href=”##link1##”>Your CTA Here</a>
Step 2: Provide media kits to publishers (learn more about publisher media kits here)
Step 3: Publisher will receive email assets with unique URLs that will identify their traffic and conversions by their unique ID.
Vendor 1 Button Link
Vendor 2 Button Link
Vendor 3 Button Link
To test this feature, once your tracking links have been setup, return to the Assets page under the Creatives tab. You will see a Send button in the Actions column for each for each of your uploaded assets. Clicking this will bring up a modal where you can complete the fields to preview a broadcast, and also see how your tracking setup has linked to your email creative.
The channel field can be used to group links and view performance by medium types, such as Social, Paid Social, Display or PPC.
Enter in your final URL destination, such as your homepage or a campaign specific landing page.
Web analytics tracking tags can be included, for example GA UTM tags:
The URL can be dynamically updated with the following options:
- Click ID: A unique ID used for attribution
- Campaign ID: This will add the Convertr Campaign ID to the URL
- Publisher ID: This will add the unique Publisher ID to the URL
- Sub ID: Assign unique alphanumeric characters used to record and track unique user attributes, traffic sources, banners, and/or link placement
This is an internal field for your reference where you can keep notes on where links are shared, if they are associated with temporary pages, or other miscellaneous needs.
Use this field to activate and deactivate links.
Use the toggle to control which whitepapers are active and displayed on external websites.
Sharing Tracking Links
All saved tracking links will be visible on the Tracking Links page.
Simple 1:1 link distribution
Use the URL under the Link column. For example, in the image above:
By using the custom link, you can edit the destination URL at any point and the Link will automatically redirect to the new destination, removing the need to update URLs with vendors.
Advanced dynamic publisher or channel links
Select the Publisher tab.
Select the Tracking Link icon under Contracts for the appropriate Lead Generator.
This will open a modal with unique URLs for that data provider.
Measuring Tracking Links Performance
Link performance can be viewed by Tracking Link or by Publisher. All saved tracking links will be visible on the Tracking Links page:
- Imp’s (Impressions): The number of times the URL has opened in the browser.
- Clicks: The number of interactions the URL has had
- Invalid: The number of times someone clicked this URL, submitted a form but did not meet your campaign rules.
- Valid: The number of times someone clicked this URL, submitted a form and met your campaign rules.
- Billable: The number of leads that have been marked as Valid and will be billed. Common reasons a valid lead may not be billed would be:
- A publisher has exceeded their lead cap
- The campaign has been paused, but leads are still being provided.